Thursday, March 1, 2018

Scripture March Madness! Day 1

Four months in and going strong my Brothers and Sisters!
March will focus on Fear/Anxiety/Worry and what God and the Bible say about those negative feelings.
Of course, we are also still in the Church season of Lent, therefore my readers can still look forward to the second Lenten-based passage as well.

Daily Verse:
But you, Israel, my servant,
Jacob, whom I have chosen,
the offspring of Abraham, my friend; 
you whom I took from the ends or the earth,
and called from its farthest corners, 
saying to you, "You are my servant
I haven chosen you and not cast you off",
do not fear, for I am with you
do not be afraid, for I am your God;
I will strengthen you, I will help
I will uphold you with my victorious
right hand."
Isaiah 41:8-10
    God chose Israel through Abraham because he wanted to, not because the people deserved it.  Although God chose the Israelites to represent him to the world, they failed to do this; so God punished them into captivity. Now all believers are God's chosen people, and all share the responsibility of representing him to the world.  One day, God will bring all his faithful people together.  We need not fear because 1) God is with us, 2)God has established a relationship with us, and 3) God gives us assurance of his strength, help, and victory over sin and death.  Are you aware of all the ways God has helped you?
Who's Who: Jacob- Esau's brother and Isaac's son in Genesis.  Read some of his adventures in Genesis28-33 from visions of angels to trickery with his uncle to wrestling matches feature divine opponents.
Related:
Deuteronomy 7:6-8, 9:4-6
Isaiah 51:2
Romans 8:31 
16th Day of Lent:
Nevertheless, many, even of authorities, believed in him.  But because of the Pharisees they did not confess it, for fear they would be put out of the synagogue; for they loved human glory more than the glory that comes from God.  Then Jesus cried aloud: "Whoever believes in me believes in me believes not in me but in him.  And whoever sees me sees him who sent me." 
 John 12:42-45
    Along with those who refused to believe, many believed but refused to admit it.  This is just as bad, and Jesus had strong words for such people (Matt 10:32-33).  People who won't take a stand for Jesus are afraid of rejection or ridicule.  Many Jewish leaders wouldn't admit to faith in Jesus because they feared excommunication from the synagogue (which was their livelihood) and loss of their prestigious place in the community.  But the praise of others is fickle and short-lived. We should be much more concerned about God's eternal acceptance than about the temporary approval of other people.
    We often wonder what God is like.  How can we know the Creator when he doesn't make himself visible?  Jesus said plainly that those who see him see God, because he IS God.If you want to know what God is like, study the person and words of Jesus Christ.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment